Wednesday 28 April 2010

Forgot to say we had nice chips on Saturday from the Codfather, one of my favourite chip shop comedy names. There is a hairdressers in Warsash called Herr Kutz - like what they have done there. It's on a par with Pam Purred Pets.

Pet cat went to vet yesterday to have a booster injection which was mistakenly not given when she went in October. Forked out for some worm tablets for her. Also went to the dentist, we have a new comedy dentist from another eastern European country, he is very jolly and recommended Sensodyne, so clearly got himself onto a good thing there. He reminded me of Father Christmas. Let's hope he is still around next time we go, generally we get a ne one every time as they are all on six month contracts. It costs £16.50 to have him prod around in my mouth. Get half of that back from HSA I am relieved to say. Also went to the hospital to see consultant for my annual check in and my blood results are fine and its 'Watch and Wait' for another year. I have to go back every year until I die. Or she ( the doctor) dies first? Not that I am planning to assasinate her, you understand. She said next year she might have the technological advance to do the consultation by phone. Steady on, NHS! Just to complete my mystery shopping of the NHS on your behalf prior to the general election, ( did I say that all children in Southampton in Year 4 get free instrument tuition - I didn't get that as a Thatcher's child, I can tell you!) A decided to be sick and come out in a rash on her cheeks, plus headache and stiff legs, enough of the indicators to make even the least worried parent reach for a thermometer and check the meningitis website. in my case, I had to borrow Hattie's thermometer as I don't really have much time for all that fiddling about a la Nicky Davy, and temp was ok, but I called the Doctors out of hours nurse, who suggested I take her to to walk in clinic at Bitterne and wait for 90 mins to be told that she was fine. She did a dramatic puke whilst in the waiting room - well I got her to the loo just in time, but it didn't give us any extra points in the queue. Still, a tick for the NHS out of hours service, I feel that if she had got meningitis and was going downhill fast they would have fast tracked us.

I am beginning to feel a bit aged, that all I can tell you about is the health of family members. Nothing sporting to tell you about as my day yesterday was spent with A being a bit forlorn but not ill, and me doing a ton of washing - yep, literally! and getting it all dry whilst the sun shone. Washing is something I am good at, I also did the ironing, including 5 shirts for R, who announced that he likes ironing shirts and is happy to do them himself from now on.

So, the NHS and laundry. Went to work for a break from life as a drudge.

Nicky Davy is a legendary figure, the still living mother of two girls who lived next door but one. She poked thermometers in their mouths at every opportunity and seemed to always be saying ' they can't play, they've got temperatures.' which was bewildering to us who didn't know you could have a temperature. they also had to go to bed earlier than the rest of us in the street, so we played near their window just to annoy them. I loved both girls, Jo and Tricia, and in fact Tricia was in my class all through secondary school and then we were both at uni at the same time. She was the most healthy and robust sports person you could meet, rowing and canoeing for the country (almost). her sister, meanwhile, the last time I heard (and I am not on facebook so forgive me if you know better) was wasting away eating just cotton wool or similar. So, my reluctance to bother my children with thermometers stems from a mocking relationship with them from an early age, plus never knowing actually what is a good temperature to be, so why bother knowing what you are, if you don't know whether that is good or bad? if you told me you had a temperature of 38.8 I would be as impressed as if you told me you had one of 34.4. I have no idea which of those is better or if it matters.

No comments: