Thursday 13 May 2010

R is out playing tennis tonight for the county or similar. Last night he was out sailing for Team GB ( again, or similar). He should have gone to a private ( public) school and become the internationally acclaimed sports star that he was destined to be from a young age. Apparently the Surrey Cricket developement squad did not look at boys from state schools. Too bad his dad was spending all the cash on records and not on school fees for Harrow or somewhere eh? Still, he would never have met me! R that is, not his dad, although I guess that follows.

I, meanwhile, was never destined to be a sports star from a young age and skipping at Brownie camp and learning to play two ball was as good as it gets. I found out that this Sunday's triathlon involves a 5 mile run. I thought it was 5k, and those of you with a working knowledge of measures will know which is longer. So I did 5 miles on Tuesday, around Hamble Common and Netley. On Monday I did the best ride I have done so far, a 30 mile round trip from the gym out to Beacon Hill which is on the south downs ridge and back, with the best stop ever for a view, and then the best descent ever down a lane to Exton, with clear views and no hedges so no nasty cars sneaking around. I only saw 4 cars on the entire first 10 miles, once I had got out of Hedge End and to where I feel my rides start, Durley. Seriously, people go on holiday to far less beautiful spots than this section of Hampshire and I commend it to you.

Tonight has been a busy one, with H back from Brownies, plus a friend borrowing an alien costume, the window cleaner, the Sainsburys delivery man and Aleesha from up the road wanting to 'borrow' some wrapping paper. I was tempted to ask for it back but she wouldn't have got the humour. Luckily they did not all turn up at once or it could have been a bit of a muddle with people leaving and going with all the wrong things. I had cunningly engineered the Sainsburys man to come at a time R was going to be in and I was going to be out, because I would have liked to have come home to all the food put away by someone ( anyone!) else. I had forgotten that it was the warm ups for Wimbledon tonight and R would be out playing tennis with Federer. Serves me right, I got to put the food away.

I finally finished the last book in the Robin Hood trilogy written by Stephen Lawhead. I liked the Merlin ones and like these too, I am reading them cos R likes them, and actually I do too although I would never choose them. I won't ruin the ending, but its good. I am going to see the new Robin Hood film at the new cinema in Eastleigh, which I am over excited about.

I met a man in the sauna who was a body builder and told me I should carb load before Sunday. I don't really know what that means but just had a peanut butter sandwich and am hoping somehow it helps me go faster. Although why would it still be lingering 3 days later? I should think a 3 day old sandwich of any variety would slow one down.

No comments: