Friday 18 May 2007

Public transport is the featured subject tonight. I cycled to work (school) today and locked my bike in the bike shelter as usual, and forgot that I would be leaving at midday, when the caretaker (who locks the bike shelter) is off duty... so, I used my considerable taste for adventure and walked to Sainsburys at Hedge End, and found out that there is a free bus to Thornhill 3 days a week, which I missed by about 1 minute, despite a lovely Sainsburys employee called Brenda packing my bags to speed me up. So, I sat on the seat and chatted to the couple next to me. They were staying with their daughter in Hedge End, and were attempting to get a bus to Hilliers Garden Centre for a potter and a 'spot of lunch'. It is not far to get there from where we were, but by bus I fancied their chances as slim of getting there and back in the same day. My bus came before theirs, I got the number 6 (which I had never seen before) to the top of the road. A had suggested we spend the afternoon at The Quays, so off we trotted to the bus stop to get an 18/19 into town. Meanwhile, the other branch of the Bowens were using the train and cycle to get to and from Fareham. H had an unexpected day off school, as the roof has fallen in. So, she accompanied R to work, and was pleased with all the attention she received from 15 year old girls, delighted no doubt to have a reason to not work. She made flapjack, a door sign and sat in silence for an hour while R invigilated a test.

No resorting to car use in this family! We should by now have saved enough money to buy a new car, or train, or country. Am thinking about solar panels on the roof, but will wait till the Marsdens are satisfied with their installation before I go ahead.

I have been researching holiday possibilities tonight. I want to stay in a train carriage, a Romany caravan and a lighthouse. Would love to combine all of those in one stay, if anyone has any ideas. Also a narrowboat holiday when the girls are a bit older. A can swim about 5 metres now, but would not want to test her stamina in a lock.

No comments: