Saturday 16 August 2008

Today I was in my home prison - I can actually go anywhere, but not near any children, and as there are a whole bunch playing with go karts outside our house all day, it is pretty much house arrest. We crept out after dark, like something out of the Thriller video - glowing and bodypoppin down to the House house, for a glass of orange juice and lemonade. I was glowing, R was bodypopping. Did you not know he could do it? He is hoping it will be one of the new sports at the 2012 Olympics, along with Darts, so he can win many medals without needing to alter his physique. It was a great day to be at home with a tv. Saw the amazing fuss made over the 100m men's world record of 9.69secs. I can run down to the Coop, which I estimate at 100m, in less than 10 seconds and no one has given me a medal. Maybe its because I don't wear gold shoes. I thinks some of these Olympians are also rans. I pointed out to R that at at push, I could do 2 lengths of the pool in under a minute. And again, no medals for me. He explained that the pool they are using is twice as long as BLC. More fool them, I say. I would try and get away with doing the short course and see how long it takes the officials to catch on.

Anyway, on a serious note, seriously, about the Olympics, I have some observations to make with regard to sports and class. Now, one of the first medals was won by a Toff on a horse, going sideways, and the chap was called Hugo Biffer Spencer, or Horatio Digby-Plaid. William Fox Pitt. That was actually his name. Now, there was some boxer from Manchester, by the name of Joey, I think. And there's a fab cyclist with the great name of Bradley Wiggins. I can't see a Mancunian called Joey getting on a horse, or William Fox Pitt getting in a boxing ring, can you? And I just love to imagine their converstion should they have been sat next to each other for the flight over. Bless them both, they would have needed a translator. Yet there they were, both representing their country in sports that could not be further apart if they tried.

Enjoyed watching the pursuit racing from the velodrome. And also the funny race where a chap on a moped goes round first, and they have to chase him, like a greyhound, then he sneaks off and they go for it to see who wins. I think its called the Kyran race. I will know more next week as R buys cycling magazines A LOT ( hint for Christmas present) and I like to read them. In fact, I also write to them, and have had two letters published, one the star letter, for which I won a bike light. Not a gold medal. One fun thing about reading his magazines (sailing ones too) is that I don't have a clue what most of the words mean, so I read without any idea of the meaning. You should try it, its fun! I did it with a knitting pattern a couple of weeks ago. I am saving it for Sarah T, who is good at knitting. One of the patterns is for a knitted banana protector, which I like and which would make a good stocking filler for Christmas ( hint!).

As well as watching the Olympics, I have been decorating all day, we have done all the preparation and two layers of undercoat on the walls. so its all looking good. Jo Hayles usually does the honours for us with cutting the ribbon and declaring newly decorated rooms open, so will try to book her for when she has finished in Beijing. Now, which event would Jo be doing? Beach volleyball? Archery? Heptathlon?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am knitting a bag at the moment but a banana protector sounds like a challenge! A lot less useful I should imagine x