Monday 9 February 2009

I am sure you were about to ask, so will tell you and save you the bother of you asking how it went at the hospital this week! I went today for injection number 1, however, no one had ordered the injection, so after hanging around with some sick looking people I went back to work, and have to do the 4 day trips to hospital the week beginning the 23 feb, which is also when I start my new job, so not so ideal. Still, the receptionist, nurse and doctor all said sorry and I felt a bit sad and deflated as I had got all ready for this week being a hospital week, and hanging around the hospital which I have come to know so well I could work as a Friend - you know, the old guy who stands by Burger King and shows you the way? That could be me! Walked past a disconcertingly labelled door today - 'discharge lounge'. Does everyone sit around comparing discharges in there for fun? Door shut, but nothing seeping under it, so hurried by and hope I never need to find out. Its a bit like the Thornhill leg club, for people with leg ulcers to get together? Nice! Why would you want to hang around and compare discharges? Yeuch. I thought about being a doctor once, when R was in hospital having his gall removed ( he's gall-less now) and the doctors just turned up once a day, shuffled papers around and sloped off. However, I read the posters on the corridor walls about stoma care and that put me right off a career change into medicine. Bleurgh! 

Managed 20 lengths easy front crawl last night, didn't feel too bad at the end of it, it is becoming comfortable rather than a death wish. Was planning a run tonight but the weather is so bad I would be better off swimming from my front door.

Looked into being an aerobics instructor. There is a course which I could do, but I realized I would have to listen to and select music tracks for my routines, and my music knowledge stops in about 1991, so they would have to put up with Witney,  Janet Jackson, the pet shop boys, etc etc etc and I don't own any music, so would have to be in the itunes store all the time downloading military band music and muddling them all up.

One of my other ambitions is kite surfing, and I looked into the lagoon  (not literally) where we are going sailing in Portugal in the summer and they do kite surfing courses there. Will earn to sail first. Read the opening pages of 'Mirror sailing from scratch' and got lost in the first line, which went something like this:

Move the transom from the gyb across the halyards and the shrouds being careful not to hitch in the main sheet or the vong. 

I think its one of those things you have to do, and no amount of book reading is going to help.

Still no TV, but do now have a car stereo after 3 months without one, so can listen to the radio if in need of a media fix. I listened to some fantastically eloquent Aussie called Mary Lou telling the world a fascinating personal story about the fire - she was captivating. The guy in the studio cut her off before we found out what happened to her cat.

I didn't know they had cats in Oz. I guess I thought they had possums or koalas as pets instead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first ever mp3 download was a military marching band playing 'Last Post'. I am down with the kids!

Gutted that the hospital have messed you about and prolonged the whole procedure. It is nonsense like that which lets the NHS down from time to time, nearly always admin screw ups.

Pleased to be getting positive little HG night reviews, not looking forward to the bad ones though.

We are all managing without TV fine too. C & D have stopped clamouring for their dvds every time we go in the lounge, which is great.
Temporarily gone up to being a 2 car family for a week which isn't really in the spirit of Fab Feb. But we are shopping locally for outrageously expensive crap foodstuffs to be culturally relevant to our surroundings!! Aldi is luxury we can only dream of.

Anonymous said...

My housemate is an aerobics instructor - I'm sure she would be happy to advise you on song selection, or indeed any other more useful aspects of how to train x