Saturday 7 February 2009

Yesterday was a good gym day. Due to the sleet and rain and cold Ang and I opted for a day at the Health club rather than our monthly cycle ride, and I put her through her paces in the gym. Another of my ambitions is to be an aerobics instructor so watch out world... Athletes amongst you will be pleased to hear that I managed 4km in 25.00, which means I am well on target for a. running 5k at all, and b. running it 'sub' 30 mins. Anything above that is embarrasingly walking speed and what anyone can manage in the Race for Life. Not going to set a target time yet, but will be pleased to beat Paula's track 5000m pb.

Did an easy bike to warm up, and some weights, then did my 20 lengths of front crawl, which involves gulping lots of water and constant adjustments of my hat and goggles which feel like they are about to fall off all the time. I feel like a character from Chicken Run in that hat. Felt a bit weak and hungry after all that so didn't spend too long in the steam room and jacuzzi, as feared fainting and being kicked under the bench and not noticed till the cleaner came in. I splashed out on a lunch for us both at the Club.

Went to Aldi for shopping that night, me and lots of Polish and Asian men seem to like shopping there. I was disappointed not to bump ito throngs of Vineyarders stocking up on cheap Bratwurst and Schnapps, but I know the Gales are going to Farmfoods, and the onus is on people to keep shopping ethically and living on benefits levels. Good luck! I find Aldi a very ethical store - multicultural and no excess packaging. No excess of anything, except power tools.

The Gibbs grandparents visited today, and we have Grandad Paul and Nanny Jackie coming tomorrow. Grandparents are like buses, clearly. H asked: 'Do we have to have grandparents all weekend?' Yep. We cooked a roast ( pigeon, roadkill, v cheap) and then drove to Furzey, which was still covered with a pristine inch or so of snow! How cool is that? We go so much, in all weathers, but especially in the summer, so fabulous to see it in all seasons. The pond was frozen over so I got the skates out and practised my routines. R is not too good on the catches after the triple salchow, hence my damp trouser bottoms. Arriving home, A and I made cheese scones for tea (very cheap - main ingredient flour) while my dad and R had a joint effort to get a fire going with the kindling we had collected around Furzey. Free winter fuel! Am going to go out in Telegraph woods with Josh and his chain saw tomorrow and get some logs. I could jog there, and then carry them home on my back to help my endurance training. I wonder if there is a 'World Strongest Woman' contest? And if so, why is it not shown on Channel 5 between Christmas and New Year?

The TV rule has been amazing - neither girl has watched any since Monday, which is their TV addict day at friends' homes. They haven't really even asked about it. Caused quite a conversation at school with mums who clearly thought it was an impossibility to not watch TV all day. But a good conversation, challenging I think, in a good way. Don't know what we have been doing instead, but H is getting good at speedstacks.

We had another fun housegroup this Thursday! Three in a row! It was our money talk, which we haven't done for 18 months, but did do a year before that, it involves us divulging our income, giving, saving, debt, and being able to ask each other reasonable questions and set ourselves little targets for things to do in the next few months. It was great, as usual, and although the content is confidential I CAN tell you that the Houses have got planning permission for their communal hot tub on their front grass, and the Whitmore/Crandon plan for a helicopter pad and storage facility is going ahead - although it takes a chunk out of the Houses' back garden. A small price to pay for avoiding public transport at all costs.

We got chatting about my birthday tonight, as my slippers are broken and I normally can depend on Granny M and M and S - but R says she already has a present for me! And my mum brought one down too! ( on re- reading, it sounds like our granny is a Rap artist - she is not). So, slippers would be great. But am going to try to superglue them later. With my foot out, of course! I got thinking and remembered that in 1999 R bought me a tennis racquet, and I was going to learn, but the courses kept being cancelled so I never did. I thought I might get it down from the loft, but R said that in about 2004 he took it to work and has no idea where it is. And I allegedly agreed to this plan. Bah! Like I agreed to his throwing the sewing machine out to the dump because I hadn't used it lately. Well, my tennis bat was waiting for this moment, well, post May 4 when another of my ambitions is to be an accomplished tennis star. That will have to wait now. I also have decided that I would like to wear a proper triathlon person's outfit rather than have to wear a tankini for a cycle ride. May put a Wanted on Freecycle but unlikely I fear...

I had a go on my racer on Thursday. Road bike is the correct term. Well, I was wobbling about so much the road was optional, more time in the gutter. It has toe clips but I only put one foot in as was concerned re stopping. You go a lot further per pedal, but you look a moron and your back aches. Well, that's me - you may not get any more metres per revolution, you may look great and your back be tickety boo, but I have never seen you on one.

Still got gallons of chicken curry in the fridge if you are interested, plus now joined by R's great 'Roast dinner soup' and 30 eggs. There was a miscommunication (my fault) with the shopping list I gave R, so he bought 12. I meant 1/2 of an egg, as we are economising I thought we could cut down. I bought 6, the milkman brought 6 and then my dad brought 6 and some leeks. So, leek omlette for me all week.

No comments: