Thursday 9 July 2009

Aha! Its Fri 25th of Sept for the pottery throwing evening.

Recently we have tried being nice to our fat cat, in an effort to make her slimmer and less horrid (ie not pooing in the playroom/kitchen/lounge). We looked up what to do, and have moved her food, changed her food and put a bit of string on a stick to wave at her and help her exercise. We started all this on Monday. Today, H said to Emily (cat) 'Well done! you are getting thinner!' (hadn't spotted it myself). H then went and made a medal for the cat which says
'No 1 Well done, excellent you are getting thinner.'

All those Slimming World meetings she attended as a baby obviously went in at a deep level.

The girls had sports day yesterday, and Amanda went to whoop and holler them along, A found the whole thing a bit odd and walked the races she was in, by all accounts, with a bemused but happy smile. I went for my first run in nearly 3 weeks yesterday, and managed half my usual distance at half my pace in the same time! I have to rebuild some form soon, as I finally think this throat infection/gland thing etc etc has gone!! I am running in the 3.30 at Tadcaster this Saturday but don't put any money on me.

Today was one of those days at school where you leave with your head in your hands, having severed it at the neck to spare yourself the agony of dealing with quite how ineffective and rubbish you feel. Hoping things will be on the up tomorrow, especially as I am meeting my new class.

R and I had an amusing conversation ( for him, not me) a few nights ago when he was testing me on my sailing theory. It's all about apparent and real wind, and how, if you were cycling at 90mph in a hurricane of 90mph, in the same direction at the wind, IT WOULD NOT FEEL WINDY. We went through many scenarios ( downhill, uphill, Isle of Wight ferry doing 90mph, but he says it is one of those rules of the universe that holds fast whatever the vehicle. It seems to be a bit of Physics I skipped at school, too busy counting dots on ticker tape.

1 comment:

niddler said...

I'm in full agreement with R on the thing about relative wind velocities.

What will really cook your noggin, is that despite that, if you're going along on the IOW ferry at 90mph and shine a torch at someone standing still on the dock, the light travels away from you at the speed of light 'c' (approximately 670 million mph), not at c + 90mph... and the person on the dock sees it arriving at... 'c', not c + 90mph. Same goes if they shine a torch back at you.

This is one of the wonders of special relativity - Wikipedia has a (relatively - no pun intended) accessible article on the subject.

Now do you understand why I marvelled at God's creation in my Physics lectures?

I could go on all night! ("not with a bayonet through your neck you couldn't", I hear Captain B cry)