Thursday 16 July 2009

Matthew, I knew you would shed some light on the subject of velocity.

New joke for you: accidentally made up yesterday... What's the fastest salad vegetable?
rocket. Amy thought it would be spinach, which would work if the movement was gyratory.

Today is H's 8th birthday, which is enough to put anyone in a High School Muscial frenzy. Well done to Fairy Godmother Jo who sent a HSM bag, book, purse and top trumps. I don't get how Sharpei has low style marks and lots of brains. And Gabriella's best friend who is really clever gets lower scores for brains than style. A bought H a HSM dress and leggings. We bought her a basketball hoop and netball (not that I am competitive) and Mary bought her a grown up sleeping bag. Granny B and Grandad P sent money, Amanda gave her an MP3 player (R had it lying around, so don't tell anyone). H has a great gift for looking genuinely delighted with all her presents, and the balloon puffing exhalations of late last night made for a suitably perky looking kitchen table at 7am. We all shot home from school to go for our family meal at Pizza Express, H's choice, courtesy of Tesco Clubcards. We don't go to Tesco much, but the odd stop at a garage convenience store, and buying a TV clearly helped bump up the vouchers. I got £8 in the Coop's recent dividend payout, so that's a hell of a lot of bread and milk! We had a pleasant meal in a busy but efficient restaurant, they do a great child's menu for £6 for 3 courses. Would have done me too, the amounts the girls got - I was fed up of pizza too soon. Had banoffee pie and cake. Going out for lunch tomorrow, then out for 2 barbecues in the evening, then lunch at Mary's and lunch with church on Sunday - I shall burst.

R and I had a fractious tennis session on Tuesday night. I ran there, as desperate for the time to train, but running followed by tennnis shows up my lack of fitness right now. And my grumpiness when blood sugar down. Got tennis lesson tomorrow. Last week was awful, as I just don't get the smash shot at all. I am no good at serving either, but did improve on Tuesday.

Swine flu is everywhere, my school and the girls' school. I read the list of symptons and am pretty sure both R and I have already had it, and H has had a sore throat last week too. So, sorry everyone, we just carried on as normal so hope we are not the guilty ones who sent it to you. Don't think its the kind of virus you can get through an email.

Our amp has recently malfunctioned, after we bought speaker stands and got a colleague's partner to set them all up properly ( it is his job, not just being cheeky to a comparative stranger). Before he did that we hardly used it and it worked, then we started using it more and it doesn't. We now have to decide whether to repair or replace. Its less than 2 years old, so either of those options seems a bit premature. Our lawnmower is not great either, it is a composite of two old ones from the dump, and doesn't seem to be able to achieve cutting grass and getting it out of the way. Again - repair? recycle? or sod it and buy a new one? Do you like what I did there?

We were intending on taking this comparative stranger (Mike - great name for a guy in PA and stereos and all that) and Laura for a sail on Saturday, along with manning the bar. But did you see the weather on Saturday? I rushed back from pony trekking in the New Forest as they were expecting a lot of extra boats at the club for a national something or other, however, the 25 hardy boatsful of teenagers who had travelled to do the competition were not beer monsters, and were happy with chips and tea and blankets. At one point the bar had 2 people in it, both reading books. Granny M was down, and she and I and H walked to the village to buy a paper, but that was the most energetic any of us got.

The morning weather in Burley was drizzly, but fun to be on a horse, and did some trotting! Shame I had the special needs horse, Hayley, who had to go at the back and needed a behaviour chart to stick with the rest of the pack. She did 3 wees as well. It was a busy weekend, as on the Friday night I was staying in Beaulieu with my old school, to celebrate the retirement of my mentor from my NQT year. It is the most amazing bunch of staff you could hope for, a great fun evening with all joining in. I was the only old colleague there, and I left in 2000, but they welcomed me as though I had never left. I would work there again at the drop of a hat (what does that mean?) but its too far away with getting the girls to breakfast club. It's a real community of people, a band of brothers - well sisters and one brother. I did a nice flat, fast run in Beaulieu, and then the horse riding was part of the festivities for Ann's retirement.

On Sunday I went to Hampton Court flower show with Libby, and enjoyed better weather and a really relaxed day out, mooching around looking at ideas for gardens and enjoying the picnic R has carefully selected to appeal to our palates. The only problem were the other people there, it was very crowded and in future I shall ask for a private viewing. I shall try to upload you some pictures forthwith.

Last night I impaled six slugs and two snails, and threw their carcasses on the shed roof, as a warning to other molluscs flying over to stay away from my tomatoes.

No comments: