Monday 5 October 2009

Yesterday, H and I both had a go at 'helming' for a race, with R as our crew. H came a fabulous 14th in her race ( out of 14) and I came 15th in mine ( out of 16 - someone withdrew half way round.) Pretty good results eh? Considering I only started sailing in May, I was quite proud. R wanted H and I to go together, but it has been about 6 weeks since I been out on the water and I need R to say tiller towards you, away from you, etc. I can tack now with some proficiency, although the everyday saying ' that's a bit wide of the mark, or far off the mark' has a whole new meaning now I know how to tack so far off the mark that I have no fear of touching it or any other boat. I was terrified of crashing into someone proficient, or not giving way at the right time, etc, etc, there are many many rules in sailing racing. At one point a guy who was racing too said 'Are you racing?' to us, which adequately shows how badly we did. The wind was weak and changeable and I had to concentrate hard, but I HAVE DONE A RACE! 2012 Weymouth here I come! Whilst waiting for the results with some hard core sailors, I told them not to bother waiting to find out who won cos it was obviously me. No one laughed. Which means they are so insecure that they actually thought I had a chance! Or they don't get my humour, which is more likely. Here is a great sailing joke made up by A:

Which boat is the one that gets up latest every morning?
the Lazer!!!!!!! Geddit?

Other notable things were that R and I watched a DVD last night, this in noteworthy as it only happens about once a year that we sit down at the same time on the same sofa. It was borrowed from Lou, who, along with Hattie, ensures Blockbuster get no business from any one in their friendship group. Mona Lisa Smile or something, Julia Roberts, a bit of a Dead Poets for girls film. Good.

Sunday am I did my last big run before next Sunday's 10k effort at Beaulieu. Sarah and I did a great run from her house around Itchen valley country park. Sadly I will be on my own at Beaulieu as the lovely Vicky who was training with me has injured her ankle to such an extent that she can not run for 6 weeks. Sarah and Chris came to the sailing club on Sunday too, as they are keen to get into it - Chris especially, so who knows - a boat share might be on the horizon.

We went to St Christophers church oin Thornhill for the harvest with the girls in their Rainbow and Brownie kit. Quite a crowd of us as Adam brought the children, and a few other Rainbow mums were there. ( Not that Adam is a Rainbow mum). The church was full, and Geoff did his usual fabulous job of including everyone, and ensuring that we left church with a smile on our faces. Do you know, I can't remember ever leaving a church with a smile before! The story of Zaccheus, linked to sharing, giving and thanking at harvest. The songs were all 1980s throwbacks with an enthusiastic but mainly talentless music group, but the heart was there! Everything about it made me smile, Geoff is an asset to the church of england and I hope he rises to become Archbishop - it would be a wonderful and inclusive church if he was. Every time I go to an Anglican church I think 'I could do that'. Damn them. Not literally of course.

I am supposed to be planning a unit of maths work at the moment, but will go and have a cup of tea and a Whispa Gold instead. That's better. Now, Saturday, we had tennis lessons for the girls followed by our little attempt at church in Thornhill with a godly play story and lunch. Bit of a squueze getting everyone in Dunc and Emma's kitchen but nothing a few weeks at Slimming World won't deal with. Then A had a party at Bitterne Leisure Centre, so I took an hour to browse the delights of the precinct. Well well well. Woolies site has been taken over by a 99p shop which was heaving, I bought 2 birthday presents and a new top and cardigan for school for me, and two women were having a loud argument outside the Sainsburys with food in, which I thought might be leading towards a fight, so headed down towards the bargain bookshop. The Bakers Oven has been taken over by Greggs, so the cafe was shut, and I was looking forward to watching the fight unfold from behind glass.

The pottery has arrived from my pottery party that I had last week, as usual you can tell that I was talking too much and forgot how many layers I had put on, so its a bit mottled. Other people's look great, altogether I gave her £160 of business, and I got 10% of that as free to me, so that's the 2 bowls and the mug that H, A and I did free. Lots of people seem to be saying that they want to book a party, I hope they get on with it before Christmas as I have some more presents to make. Which proved entirely that I go to these parties for a purpose rather than people, on the whole, and my heart sinks when I am invited to a handbag buying party.

1 comment:

Sarah T said...

Great joke A!