Wednesday 14 February 2007

Shirley. The place, not the lady. I visited today, but sadly not with the leisure time to peruse the length of the high street, home to such outlets as Bon Marche and Wilkinsons. Gutted to go to Shirley and miss Wilko. I went there because that is where my dentist is. I say 'my dentist' but it is a new person every time I go, with a Dutch man and a Swedish lady the last two times. This time, he was from Germany, spoke very little English and kept his mask on for the whole time. Hannah got her Barbie sticker so she was happy. I left very unhappy, as I have to go back to have a FILLING. The shame. My two daughters smugly marched down the stairs (dentists are always upstairs - where do people who can't do stairs go?) chanting 'mummy doesn't clean her teeth as well as us'.

I only mentioned it because a month or so ago I was awake most of the night with a severe pain in my tooth, but it had not caused any trouble since. Wish I had kept quiet. He wouldn't have noticed anyway. It was only because he did an x ray that he knew.

Going to Shirley, as a Bitterne fan, is a bit like a Saints fan going to Portsmouth for the dentist. I almost got to Porstmouth later today, as the Portsmouth youth football team were stars of the fashion show we went to at Rob's school. H and A were in the show too, in their best party dresses, twirling and curtseying and obviously loving it! It was all run by some of the students, in aid of a 'faith and football' charity run by a Pompey footballer who is a Christian. Hence the footballers I guess.

I noticed today that on the news Robbie W is having treatment for addiction to prescription drugs. I thought it was probably Lemsip, as I find once you have a cold and get used to having them every 4 hours, I like to carry on for a good week after all the symptons are gone. But then I realised that Lemsip is not on prescription. I have been keeping up to date on celeb news since working at Berrywood, as there is a week old copy of 'heat' magazine in the staff room every Monday. I learnt all about Jade's feelings of being an idiot.

In the spirit of keeping up with national news of importance I have also been watching some of the programmes on our new Freeview box, now I have understood how to work it. Sadly, there is nothing of any importance on any of the channels I have found so far, except perhaps for the shopping channels, which are an important lesson in what not to buy.

Unless you are a Crandon, in which case essential purchases would include wolf fleece jackets to go with the blanket.

Today I also did Bitterne (yoga with Marion) and Woolston ( hair cut with Ruth). It was my day off in lieu for working 27 Monday nights in a row or something, so I spent it wisely. If you see me, you will now be able to comment on my hair knowing that it was a deliberate act, and not a child attacking me with scissors while I slept.

That last sentence would probably give the impression that, as a teacher, I snooze while the children are in my care. That is not at all the case. I was thinking of my own children.

On MY BIRTHDAY (27 feb) I have to go to school dressed as a Roman. My wardrobe does not stretch that far. Can anyone help, please?

1 comment:

Minkyboy said...

You could go as a Roman slave and just wear a cloak and rags type arrangement, or a Roman high class lady in a nice dress with a 'toga' wrapped round it with a brooch (or fibula). I would advise against the full Roman Legionnaire outfit because of the weight and inconvenience of lugging a 3 foot shiled around all day. However if you are dead set on the full military regalia then this mighty fine website can help you out:
http://www.realarmorofgod.com (I particularly like the section on Christian swords!)