Saturday 10 May 2008

R and H been sailing 2 Saturdays in a row now, although boat still leading so not made it to St Malo yet. I need to tell you about our seafaring adventure to the Isle of Wight, though, when we were in Porstmouth before 9am to get the fast cat to Ryde. I felt sick thinking about it, but lived to tell the tale. We met up with A, A and A and visited Black Gang Chine, an 'attraction' that has been threatening to fall off a cliff for years, and frankly, should take the plunge. Last time I visited was the late 70s, and things haven't changed at all. Still the tacky gift shop, weird haunted house and various gargoyle like horrors, and still overpriced to capture to captive audience of holiday makers stuck on the Isle of Wight who have been to the Garlic Farm and the Dinosaur land and are desperate to spend their currency.

However, chips and ice creams make everything more bearable, and the girls and A did have lots of fun in between being petrified by thoughts of cliffs crumbling away and seeing werewolf statues light up. I remember exactly the fears as I went around the place at about the age of 4 or 5, so can empathise with my girls. Chips, ice cream and travelling along windy roads in the back of an estate car, facing backwards, also a winner for A's travel sick trick, which was pre empted by the words 'when can I get out of this car?' - to which R answered 'now' and shot round the back to avoid damage to the leather interior of bro's much posher than our car. Instead, a little patch of Sandown High Street is embellished with a chip ice cream mix, if you go soon and it hasn't rained you will probably spot it.

I made some cards today, which was amusing and relaxing, good to see Anna and her bunch of crafty crafters. They make cards and bags and things to sell to raise money for CAP. I gave a hollow laugh when the idea of selling products we were making came up, as I would not deem my efforts good enough for people to buy - which you will see for yourself if you are lucky enough to receive one of my cards!

Gave up on the tomatoes I had ordered ever arriving, and bought 4 plants, only to get home to find the 6 I had ordered on the doorstep. So, am hoping for a bumper crop of tomatoes and will not mind too much sharing with those evil slugs.

No comments: