Friday 26 December 2008

While most of you were googling your Christmas shopping, we were goggling. R bought me a pair of goggles after I borrowed his and exclaimed: 'I can see!' I had to take them back and swap them for some which fitted over my big nose and round my big hair. Took the opportunity to invest in a swimming hat while in the shop. Again, chose a big hair option.

Meanwhile, I had asked my mum and dad to buy the girls swimming goggles, Speedo ones as the Zoggs ones break very easily. Mum bought Zoggs first by mistake, then Speedos - are you keeping count? Thats 5 pairs of goggles. Its like the 12 days of Christmas isn't it. And finally, Santa looked in his crystal ball while feng shui ing his grotto and strectching out with a little Tai Chi and bought the girls skiing goggles from Austria. How spooky is that? 7 pairs of goggles! Well! 7 is a lucky number!

I am being drawn to the church of england again, while on a walk on Christmas morning (to avoid whingeing children and stressed pre Beef wellington husband) I walked past Hedge End church as the bells were ringing, so popped in, and stayed for first half of the service. Was a bit long, as they were doing communion with all those long prayers so I left rather than face burnt croute. It was disappointingly unfull, considering that Hedge End is a big village or small town, but it does have another Anglican church, plus the church of 1000 men just by the golf centre. Bet they never have any coffee! Who would make it? I havea joke for you:

What do you call a woman priest in the Church of England?
Non stipendary. Get it? OK, not much of a joke, more a sad and dismal reflection of the role of women in the church. But anyway, she ( Sian, Hedge End's free vicar) did the kind of sermon that touches on current affairs and offends no one, although she tried damn hard with all her racist and sexist jokes. ONLY JOKING ROWAN!

We spent the rest of the day drowning in a mixture of wrapping paper and chocolate, as I imagine most of you did, dear readers. Managed to wade to the door for a walk, but all our 3 children (thats plus the sweetie pie Angus) opted for the short walk to the park with Uncle Andy, and so we strode off to Telegraph woods at adults pace, and managed a rendevous with the housegroup party who were slower in gait as shorter in average leg length. Thats despite them having Paul on their team, who has very long legs and wears shorts a lot because they are actually trousers for normal people. Once he wore normal shorts - ask Duncan about the results!

Anyway. Today, I walked to the gym in the beautiful sunshine and then after joining a frenetic team of obsessives on the CV equipment ( I did 2000m row in 10.00.8) I did lots of weights and then met family B for a goggle trial swim. We had the pool to ourselves for most of the time. Which was great, as we were pinging googles all over the show and someone could have lost an eye.

H was given a 'make up your own business' kit, so she has invented 'the Baking sisters' - A got a recipe book of cup cakes and muffins. So, if you get a order form through the post, please order a dozen of something. She might have an on line facility, knowing her she could write a website in less time than it takes me to find one.

Did I tell you about my day at the De Vere for my spa day that I was given as a gift for leaving the church job? No? Well, it was lovely, thanks for asking, and I am planning to go back soon, am going to take R for a cup of tea ( £2.95!) - not bad price for a cuppa! I travelled by bus, as I haven't for a while and thought I should check it out, and typically, on the same bus was another member of the Bus user group. Nothing eventful happened anyway. And two of us there to witness nothing happening.

No comments: