Friday 11 September 2009

Sorry, fans, been too busy trying to get the hang of how to play tennis and simultaneously run 10km and start a new job to write on here. I miss being able to tell you about the peculiarities of people in general and myself in particular.

In Tescos today, where H and I had gone for a treat ( tea and buying treats of a sleepover variety) a young, huge man walked down the vegetable aisle. He looked like one of those people who zoom around in little seats in Wall -E who are so big and fat their bones have shrunk in the X ray. Even his toes were fat. I knew because he wore flip flops - not a good look on anyone unless you are on Baywatch. Anyhow, I have set the scene, and guess what he picked up? A single packet of spring onions! So, clearly there are secret calories lurking in a spring onion that we don't know about. Scientists have yet to uncover the incredible mystery of how a small stem of onion can pack away 5000 calories each!

I have been in my new job for a week, and have liked having a big classroom and a door, two doors actually. I don't seem to have upset too many people yet. Phew! Have enjoyed exploring the extensive school woods with the children and doing playground duty in the sunshine. I have had a nice week of doing mostly music and art, and PSHE (circle time, talking about friendships, that kind of thing). It's been a great way in, as plenty of time to do all the routines and stuff without the stress of rushing from Maths to English and back again which is how it normally goes. That starts next week.

My running career is a bit dire at the moment, I am trying to keep all disciplines going, but should be focused on running as have a 10k coming up on 11 October. Am about to find a route and do a run at 7am tomorrow, then have a swim planned with a friend from the tennis club at 8am on Sunday - no time for lazing about in bed at the weekends!

Whilst H and I did our Tesco treat (turned out to not be a great treat as the cook was off, so we had chips and baked beans, all they had left) A and R did their treat, a bike ride to the park, with R on his racer and A on her little Mermaid bike. She is really getting the hang of it now, which is an essential life skill in the Bowen home. They took hot tuna bake with them as a picnic, part of the treat, possibly the most bizarre picnic ever, but quite biblical I think.

Will try to give you more snippets of life in Thornhill/Hamble slightly more hot off the press. I told R a joke today, which he already knew, about an agnostic dyslexic who wondered if they believed in dog. H overheard it, and thought it was a joke about ostriches, and I had to retell it, and explain what a agnostic and a dyslexic is, by which time I assumed the joke was totally dead in the water and I would not be asked back, but she laughed heartily and with great mirth.

Oh, grateful thanks to the lovely Evans family and their lamb roast which we enjoyed on Sunday, in their beautiful garden with scintilating conversation from the intelligent assembled guests. It was great to see some old Vineyard faces, people are so pleased to see you when you don't go along to church very often, hey, you should try it! They seem pleased to see you, which they wouldn't be if you were in their lives on a weekly basis, and having to have meetings to discuss things all day every day. I exaggerate for effect, but I love not having meetings to go to! Still getting used to it!

2 comments:

Sarah T said...

I was in Tesco today too - I would have looked out for you had I known!

Kay said...

Aah - but are you coming to Greenbelt????