Saturday 27 March 2010

Bitterne precinct is home to an alarming mini Natwest bank that has sprung up right in the centre of the landscaped grounds, in front of the current bank, like a monstrous spawn of banking. Go and see for yourself this shocking carbuncle on the delightful facade of late Georgian shops that is Bitterne.

I was in another precint today, a rather sad little place in Chandlers Ford, with no soul, but plenty of sole - as in feet, not the fish. I was there to buy some new trainers at a shop with the punning title of Up and running. I told them that my trainers that I walked in wearing were purchased from their main competitor in Eastleigh and that I had blisters every time I ran, and could they do better. Well, yes, it seems they can. I had to try on two pairs and run on their treadmill and then have my strike analysed on the video computer, and it seems I need a bit of support as my left foot slips inward a bit, and the old shoes were probably too wide so my feet could slip around. So, we shall try these new ones out. I went for a great muddy run today, it was the Bolt round the Holt, which hardy followers will recall I did a year ago, my first ever event, a 5k. This year I did the 10k, and it was hard work at times, some good bits and some bad bits, it was extremely muddy and that meant for some very slow pace up hills as you had to slide and slither around. I haven't done as much running as I would like, what with having a million other sports and a family and a job, and I struggled with the last km, and the first km, and some of the km in between. R got a better time than me which is devestating. Sarah and Chris Gale did it too, Sarah coming in first and Chris coming in last, and Adam also came with us and did the 21k ( half marathon) as a little walk in the park compared to the mighty London marathon which he is doing next month. The weather was nice for running, sun and cloud, and then suddenly a rain storm just as we were hanging around the finish line to cheer Adam over it.

H had taken her clarinet, so she spent the entire time we were running busking, with Katie holding the music. They clearly made a little cash, as H gave K £1.20.

This week I have confirmed my celebrity status in Hamble with a impromptu assembly to the infants on my appearance in Cycling Plus. Yes, the first edition with me in it is OUT NOW! I turned up with my class to assembly, and always it is me who is leading it, and I always assume it is someone else. The thing is, the other two members of staff who do it seem to have their PPA time or be on courses every Thursday morning, so I really should have caught on by now to the fact that it is me or nothing. Anyway, I talked about cycling and took questions, and then stories about their cycling adventures, and promised to bring my new bike in and cycle round the hall for a assembly treat. After school I went to the secondary school to book the girls in for a couple of sessions in their holiday playscheme, and found that most of the infants have swimming lessons there on a Friday, so I had a deluge of fans admiring my bike (the old new one Rob made me) and asking me about my riding.

Seeing as I have not started my official blog yet, I guess I can still tell you that I went for a 21 mile ride on Monday with Lou, it was a great route from Cycling Active magazine (the competition) and was north of Winchester, along very quiet lanes with very few hills to speak of. Lou had not cycled for 2 years and was nervous about it, but she only fell off once ( into a bush)and did really well. I loved being on my RJB road bike, don't tell Lou but I could have done it in half the time or less, on my fab new bike. On Tuesday I went to see my nun but she was in Liverpool (seeing her long haired lover, perchance?) so I cycled to Fareham instead. I cycled down to the sailing club and walked along the beach and then down to Hamble and got the pink ferry to Warsash and then slogged through the neverending suburb of Locks Heath to Fareham. Walked up a hill. It was cold and drizzling and I was in need of sustenance. I was going to Fareham to see R's osteopath, as since my bike fall my neck is still not right. After some of her deep tissue work I could feel how I was sloping and curved like a banana, and holding my head right of centre. Of course, she found so much wrong with me that I have to go back next week.

I have rekindled my entering of competitions after seeing one in Fareham shopping centre to win a grand to spend there. Whilst there I also entered one to win a spa break in cornwall and have one more to win a trip to Brazil. We'll wait and see shall we?

No comments: