Sunday 7 March 2010

Why we don't need a wee.

Because the Clarks have got one.

H has just found out today and spent all afternoon there, bowling. Why buy one when your neighbours have one? R commented today on the other neighbour, with the barking dog and 3 sons, who seems to burn something very toxic on a bonfire in his garden most weekends. We are wondering what it might be.

I start jury service tomorrow and am feeling quite tense and irritable tonight, fear of the unknown. It says there is no dress code, but dress appropriately. Surely that means different things to different people? I mean, a bikini is appropriate at times.

The other day there was a police presence and a lot of litter outside one of the big blocks of flats up the top of the hill when I cycled past to work. I saw in yesterday's Echo that a woman had committed suicide (well, they not got a verdict yet but most likely) jumping from her balcony on the 13th floor. Well, the newspaper report says she was in the D O P and did not want to leave but was sent home by Doctors against her will. Presumably because of money pressures. And that same night she jumped off the balcony. Now, I don't imagine the D O P is a 4 star hotel, so to want to stay there you must be feeling low. I bet someone is kicking themself for making her go home. I don't know why there was so much litter though.

I read the Thornhill Plus You Final Delivery plan, as we near the end of the 10 years of New Deal funding. When we moved to Bitterne Park, suddenly the house prices rose and everyone from church was moving to B P - we called it the NTB effect on the housing market - Near the Bowens. Well, we seem to be doing the same for Thornhill. People want to stay here and there are heaps of new housing association houses being built with priority for local people. The delivery plan is an encouraging read, Thornhill has the lowest crime rate in Southampton and is the cleanest greenest estate in the city. It is a fabulous place to live. Within 5 minutes of my house I am running in woods and in fact had a great run today, just a short one up to Netley Common.

Once I start blogging for Cycling Plus magazine, my blog for them is EXCLUSIVE, so I guess I won't be able to tell you anything about my cycling or other sporting pursuits. So will get some in now, and tell you the web address when I know it so you can follow my Olympic career there. After finding out I had got this opportunity on Wednesday, I cycled the long way round to work and struggled along the shore road and through the Country Park, and regretted taking the long route. Great views, but very windy day and a windy road. I am slightly panicked that I won't be able to manage a 20 mile bike ride on my next tri, let along the Tour de France or whatever they put me up to. I would like to do Alpe DHuez, so maybe this is my moment. We are going to Disneyland Paris in October, but not sure I could pack it all in - Monday - drive to campsite. Tue Disney, Wed Disney, Thur forget the sights in Paris and head for the hills, Fri come home.

I have just been talking to my brother, who went to a Cafe church in Dorking today. Ang is on the steering committee at their anglican church in Bookham charged with modernisation, so they went to see what a modern church service looks like. They really liked it! We had Messy Church today, I did the Light of the World Godly Play story, and we had lovely soup and some DIY trifles that I had made. There was jelly and fruit and a blob of dream topping (I was so excited to find they still made it!) in a plastic cup. I had made fairy cakes, so you plonked one of those on top and dribbled on icing and sprinkles to your own taste. It was fun, but a low turn out this week so we have a fair few trifles to get through in the fridge in next few days. We and the Crandons are on catering together ( each month a different set of two families do the cooking). Its a dream team, as both Josh and R love mass catering.

I swam at 8am this morning which I haven't done for weeks and weeks, it was lovely to be there when it is quiet. I was not quite brave enough to go in the outside pool. Not quite yet. April. That's my goal month to get out there and be brave.

Cat is trying to eat one of the spare fairy cakes. The therapeutic drops on her food seem to be working as she has not done any misdemeanours in the lounge lately. I have the phone number of the dog whisperer, recommended by two friends, who does cats too, at £25 a throw. Cat now got the fairy cake as I just went upstairs to say goodnight. We are thinking about putting the cat in a cattery rather than leave her alone when we next go away. She is eating a fairy cake. Is that normal?

Yesterday I had my first drive in the new car, which R collected on Friday. I did it ( the drive) in Eastpoint car park, along with another woman having a go at driving a van (I imagine that is what she was doing and she wasn't just lost). It was fine, it is a big car with a turning circle like a lorry, but I can get used to that. I drove home and parked. Phew. R spent the afternoon cleaning and scrubbing the old car and put it on Autotrader at 6pm. By 7pm he was inundated with calls, and they kept coming till he took it off after selling it this afternoon to a nice couple from Reading. They got a bargain decent car with low milegae and long tax. We were glad it went to a good home and not a dealer, which seemed to be most of the people ringing up.

Had a quick game of tennis yesterday afternoon too, with R and H, and I did ok, got a point off Rob! A went off to play at a friend's, which was great, as she usually spends the time on the tennis court rolling around and making patterns with the balls.

H is getting to an age and stage of independence. She goes round to her friend Abi's on her own ( one road to cross), to the Co op on her own, has cycled back from Crandon Towers on her own, and today for the first time she cycled to church at the Youth Centre on her own. She went up the main road way, and caught up with some friends who were walking up, and only had two side roads to cross to get there. It is difficult knowing how much to let her do and how much not to, I hope we are getting there with gradually increasing the boundaries and level of responsibility.

At school ( Kanes Hill - the outstanding one -did I say?!) on Thursday night the Year 5 and 6 children organised a auction, and it was brill. There were loads of cakes on the cake sale, a great turn out of parents and other family members and lots of good things to bid on. The children had been taught by a proper auctioneer, a lovely old gent, who sat in the front row and bid £105 for 2 rods fly fishing in the Test near Romsey. Which was a good thing, as no one else in Thornhill was likely to. I did lots of bidding, but had limits and came home with nothing. The children had done all the organisation and did the welcoming and everything. The money raised was for them to go to Paulton's Park as part of their current project, gadgets and gizmos, which includes creating a new ride. They also said they would use some of the money to support their Action Aid child. They made £900, an incredible total. Well done to them!

1 comment:

Sarah T said...

a good long catch up post - nice. I I have done jury service, nothing to worry about. Just wear what you'd wear to work and make sure you take a book or something to do as there is a lot of sitting around. A lady from my dept is doing it soon, but not sure if she will overlap with you - I'll check.