Wednesday 15 April 2009

http://gallery.sussexsportphotography.com/viewpicture.tlx?pictureid=8930997
I don't know how to do it better than that, but there is a photo of me doing the run. Unfortunately there is another (slower) person in the photo who I don't know, so will not be buying the mug.

However! The official times for the race show that I did it in 29 mins and 8 seconds, thus shaving 50 seconds off the unofficial time on the day and meaning I am massively better than I thought I was. HOW GOOD IS THAT??

Had a lovely run on bank holiday Monday along the shore from the sailing club to Hamble, then back through the country park. Sun shining as it always does on my runs. Worried about the swim and cycle now, but as my sponsor says - Just do it.

Today we went to Paulton's, thanks to the church parting gift from my job last year, we had gift vouchers, so the trip only cost us £6 - thus maintaining my aim to never pay full price to go to Paulton's. Fabulous weather for it, and I was really brave and went on the Cobra, which I have to say was one of the worst things I have ever done. But, I did it, felt the fear, didn't sweat the small stuff. Took ages to queue, next to a very badly behaved boy and his ineffective father. When you go to Paulton's you do see how badly lots of kids behave and how badly lots of parents parent. Not that we are perfect, but if they whine and moan there we threaten them with sitting in the car and they soon shut up - because we have followed through in other similar situations, I guess. I do my best teacher glare at these oiks in the queue and they tend to simmer down a little. That's just the parents! I love Paulton's, it is so clean, the staff are polite and the rules are strictly enforced, everyone is having a nice time, the food and drink is not shockingly expensive and it is nearby. And better still I have never paid more than £5 a head to get in.

Sailing club on Monday, I was on duty, in the bar, which is very quiet, despite the sun and a crowd, I sold a few very bad pints of beer ( bad because it was the first time I had poured beer in a bar) and a few packets of peanuts. It was cold indoors in the shade, and R was out sailing with both the girls, A's first go in the Mirror, then with H on the Topper with her doing everything and him sitting on the front instructing. I then swapped with R and he had a busy time of it in the bar for the last hour, after I had 4 hours of almost no trade at all. A made a little friend called Zac who is also 5, he seemed to get the measure of her and successfully came and found me for a rescue when she climbed too high up a tree. I had a scary moment when I lost her, and Zac came to the rescue with a precise location for her. I hope he is around every weekend. And possibly for the rest of her life!

The lovely Amanda is back living chez nous, glad to get her out of the YMCA. Despite the catchy lyrics and all the best intentions of everyone in the world of helping young people get their lives back on track, it is NOT fun to stay at the YMCA. It is the worst thing you can do if you are a vulnerable young person with a difficult life situation and background. You need a family for heavens sake! The last thing you need is to hang out with a lot of people with very similar situations to you and no coping strategies. The support staff are excellent, just only a few of them and a lot of tenants to deal with. Maybe society finds it easier to cope by effectively having difficult teenagers out of sight, out of mind? Can't help them all, but one rescued temporarily from the brink of homelessness so we shall see how we do! Will need a lot of love and support to do this and do it well for her. That's where you come in!

No comments: