Tuesday 28 April 2009

Today, after arising, I did usual chores and then had a lovely cup of tea and chat with AJ, who is a blessing of a friend who is not seen often enough these days. I gave her a lift to her next stop, en route to Netley Abbey, where I hung out with the monks and God for a bit of quiet time. It is so atmospheric there, you can almost feel a monk's habit brush past you in the cloister, or hear them singing in the chapel. The wall flowers were blooming, in the walls, and you just can't beat the place for peace. And, somehow, English Heritage have not slapped a kiosk and tea shop there, so you just wander in and round. I think it is a very underused resource for history teaching, and for worship, but maybe it is always heaving with visitors when I am not there. And now it is on here, it will be full of my followers clogging the place up, a la Furzey Gardens.

After the abbey was the beauty room for essential pre race waxing (need to be aerodynamic - had head done too) then off to school for a catch up with my partner. From there, a quick zip to M and S for lunch with a lady who lunches - that's Hattie, who is amazingly free on Tuesdays. That is, her schedule is uncluttered, or maybe I just got a lucky day, NOT that she is particularly free in anyway (you have to buy her lunch!). After a little foray into the freezer section in Sainsbury's it was home to a complicated and exhausting conversation with Amanda about her family, and why seeing them in a small window of time before another event was not going to work, then a trip to the park with the girls which was fun, while Amanda cooked tea. Our park finally has a few new items, they are big wooden climbing structures which proved lots of fun. We also nipped up the hill to the new zip wire in the woods and H and A had the advantage of two older girls happy to push them. So, tell the park conservators that they are doing a good job please Duncan. After tea I did bath time for A, while A helped and Emma and Alisha practised their maths in the kitchen, and Rob and H meanwhile were out swimming. After putting everyone to bed I should really be collapsed with a large sherry, but as my dad knows drinking alone is a sign of alcoholic tendency.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you want any advice on drinking ask me!