Tuesday 12 December 2006

Today I went to a splendid house near Overton, which is near to Basingstoke but probably wants to keep that quiet. I was there to meet my spiritual director, for a direction. Then I went for a windy, windy walk - very blowy, not very many corners to turn. I was interested to see the chalkiness of the soil around there, and the use of land for sheep grazing. They are organic sheep. The home I was blessed by was one of a network of 'Quiet Gardens', although this particular one lets you come in the house and sit by their fire in the winter. It was a fabulous home with Aga and chaise longue and ticket stubs to Polo on the kitchen notice board. Very pleasant hosts and such a wonderful idea to open your garden and home for quiet. I don't think it is a ministry I will be taking part in somehow. I went with a very busy mind and left with a quiet mind, so guess it works. There is a website called Quiet Gardens or something inaginative if you need one.

I mentioned my spiritual director. It sounds very grand, doesn't it? Like she tells me what to do and I do it! Ha! We have met three times now and it is good for me to have someone outside of my friendship and family circle who is trained and experienced in listening and is wise and has a different world view to me. She makes some suggestions for areas of prayer and disciplines I might want to consider to help me in making the changes I have said I want to make. Ang calls her my 'life coach' but that sounds a bit intense too. ' OK Kay, today you are going to do 300 sit ups before breakfast, feed the hungry, house the homeless and then stop for a fair trade cup of tea'. That should take you to 11.15 am. Head to the UN, find cure for HIV, etc etc - like I need a life coach!

Overton is not like Bitterne. It has a deli, a gun shop and a wedding dress shop. Clearly the people of Overton do more eating, shooting and wedding, and less bowling, house buying and Iceland shopping. They don't know what they are missing.

No comments: