Wednesday 6 June 2007

Tonight I ate my first harvest of potatoes, grown organically (well - kind of) in my garden using our compost. So, thank you if you have eaten fruit in my house and put the peelings in the compot heap, or double thankyous if you have urinated in the compost heap. Think that's only one of you.

The potatoes were great, fairly good size for new potatoes and I was very proud to dig them up. When I grew my first ever courgette I took a photo of it, but decided against a photo here of my spuds. I spent an hour replanting some lettuce seedlings, as I have several hundred as GGG had a seed planting fest a few weeks ago. I have spread them out a bit in bigger pots so hope they get to a stage where they are slug proof, or at least resistant. What good do slugs do to the world? Guess they make snails look good.

Watched the Apprentice at the same time. (As eating the potatoes, not planting the lettuces).The one where 3 get fired, and its down to 2. I am hoping the woman gets the job, The guy is harmless but seems a bit daft and lacking in gorm. Anyway, that is me judging and I am not prepared to put myself up there so will shut up and wait for next week.

I am reading a book called 'How to be an ex banker, female and content at home' or similar title, and although I live in a different universe to Bridget Pluckley Smythe, I have found some gems in her advice. Scrub gently with the brush to do the washing up. Get 2 doormats, inside and out to save on hoovering - yep done that Bridge. And more seriously, foster your creativity and enjoy some time to do things you can't do when your world is timetabled for you. Hence my gardening sesh tonight. She also advocates following the child's lead with games to minimise frustration for both of you - and I went for it today, following A round two parks, pretending to be a horse sleeping over at her house, grating cheese (tricky with hooves). Then we came home and I pretended to be a visitor to her Play Centre and then we pretended to be Hansel and Gretel and dropped crumbs up the stairs. It was fun, but I was ready for a sleep by 5pm.

Also played Swingball with H (mum, you're not very good at this are you?) in an effort to encourage her ball skills as I HATED PE as I was rubbish at throwing and catching. With R being an intermational cricket star I have asked him from the pregnancy stage to work on the girls' hand eye coordination etc. Its a tricky subject for us both, he can't remember it ever being hard and was one of those people who got picked first for any sport. I was the one they offered as an extra to the other team and start crying as soon as I think about the girls suffering the same humiliation. So, Swingball is a big deal for me.

Does anyone have any silver very high heeled shoes I could borrow for a wedding in the Autumn? Gents?

I have recently joined the local freecycle group, which is a mystery to me. You get a number of emails per day, which thankfully go to a webmail address else that is all I would ever read, with people in Southampton offering you things for free. So far I have been interested by a rabbit hutch and a stash of Enid Blyton books, but as I joined to get rid of my stuff I don't think I should get any of anyone else's rubbish. Although I could store the books in the hutch.

Good news! I have got a regular half day a week work for the next 6 weeks! I am really pleased with this as I have been missing school so much it is sad and that will not take too much complicated child care arrangements. Ta da!

No comments: