Friday 22 February 2008

Just returned from a swim at The Quays, and a quick sit in the steam room. It was busy - 4 of us in there, and when 2 started discussing Emmerdale I had to leave fast. I rarely go to The Quays of an evening, and it was busy all over, not just in the steam room. The swimming club took up half of the pool swimming way too fast for my liking. I was in a slow lane, and it was fast for me. Was pondering the fact that I am soon to reach another birthday - Wednesday, in fact, in case you have not yet posted the parcel off. I guess I am not going to ever be an Olympic swimmer now.

Steve and Elaine have still not invited me round for mince pies, and although I still have half a jar of mincemeat, I am embarrassed on their behalf to be making mince pies as the vernal equinox approaches. The great mince pie evening, traditionally held in December, was held back by their grand designs on their lounge. I assume by now it has been Feng shuied and Tony Robinson has unearthed a Roman mosiac under the floorboards which they are restoring. It is my birthday next week (did I say?) so they could always invite me round for a birthday mince pie, couldn't they?

Anyway! Things have been a bit lean in the winnings department this month, so have had to use up some old winnings, today we had the family day out to Paulton's Park. We were there for the whole 7 hours it is open, and although it was cold, it was not that quiet. First thing and last thing we managed to have double goes on some rides, and we went on everything they had there, that was included. Well, I personally didn't, being the least thrill seeking member of our family. H and R went on the Cobra rollercoaster, I bravely went on the other two roller coasters with A, and the teacups, which is pushing it for me. Felt like I had whiplash all day. I feel sick looking at a coach, let alone going on a Magic Carpet. Alton Towers is my idea of hell. The Waverunner is ace, and the water flume too, and we spent ages on the sack slide. Everything about Paulton's is great, the staff are friendly and the toilets are clean, there is no litter and it is full of families having fun. You can let your lunch go down by strolling around the aviaries and seeing the interesting birds who don't seem too fussed by living in the middle of a fun park.

Days of such excitement are rare, as I prefer to live within the confines of the Bitterne world, where excitement is not so easily found as at Paulton's. Still, we did our best yesterday, with a cycle ride to Bitterne (observing the newly laid road surface on Hinkler Rd - bliss!), followed by a Saxon 'fun' time at the library. This involved story telling, dressing up as Saxon people, spinning, weaving and the like. We met the Rodgers on the way, so the fun was greatly enhanced by being with them. We had booked a free game of bowling at AMF Bitterne, and R and I gave our spaces to B and J, so the 4 children bowled and the 3 adults made encouraging noises. The day was completed in Bitternetastic excitement with a DVD rented from the library for the girls to watch at home. Oh, and two Roald Dahl CD audio books to listen to in the car. We started the BFG today, which I didn't read as a child, I think he wrote it after I was too old for RD. The BFG gets his words mixed up and makes up new ones, like funkgobbling and nethertwitching and twirtling. Such fun!

Hope you noticed my love of acronyms in that last paragraph. RD, DVD, AMF, BFG... you could have fun guessing what they mean if you don't know already. I don't know what AMF stands for, for example. A Meaty Fist? AlMost Full? Must be the initials of the person who invented bowling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kay, keep that mincemeat - you can bring it along to our themed spring bar-b-mince pie event, where we fuse different seasonal customs with glorious effect (hot crossed buns welcome too).

I'm currently sitting in the lobby of the Grand-Lai Hotel, which is in Kaohsiung, Taiwan (think of Bitterne precinct with more smog, more skyscrapers, and more traffic). I'm listening to a grand piano play itself while waiting for my room to be ready and I haven't slept since goodness knows when - the glamour of business travel.

I do feel bad about ruining the environment etc, but have been inspired counter-culturally by the in-flight film "Into the wild". Highly recommended, although a bit gruesome when he tries to butcher a moose using a blunt penknife.

See you soon, mince pies in hand.